Esperantilo - text editor with particular Esperanto functions, spell and grammar checking and machine translation
Project blog (in Esperanto)
Thanks to every REVO-uloj for a huge work and to everyone, who publishes Esperanto sources on the Internet. I thank also everyone who sends me interesting materials and comments this work.
If you are interested in Translation Memory software only see
- It is suitable for Linux and Windows.
- It contains complex customizable machine translation for a Polish, German and English languages. It is complex translation software.
- it supports also semi-automatic translation.
- It can collaborate with professional translation systems by XLIFF and TMX formats.
- It can translate many Esperanto character encoding (ĝ gx gh ^g g^ html).
- It makes easy to write Esperanto hat letters with "x"-replacement.
- It can convert many files automatically.
- It is full utf-8 editor and is suitable for editing multilingual texts.
- It enables editing of many files in one program.
- It contains "undo" and "redo" functions.
- It offers spell checking.
- It contains grammar checker
- It contains syntax analyze
- It contains a multilingual dictionary with a edit mode
- Program do not need installation.
I hope that the program will be suitable for some many peoples. Please write to me, if you have remarks. Read also the page "frequently questions"
- Esperanto to Polish
- Esperanto to English
- Esperanto to German
- Esperanto to Swedish
- Esperanto to Russian
- Polish to Esperanto
- English to Esperanto
The spell checking bases on the REVO dictionary and a analysis of texts collection and other sources. The inside dictionary contains 8941 roots and 58259 derivations.Esperantilo works in two levels:
It can get to know possible but not determined derivations (for example
mal|bon|il|o) and mark them green and unknown roots, which are marked red. It is possible to add new roots or derivations from well-known roots. They are kept in files
(~/.ee_radikoj.txt) in private format.
It is possible to have proper ignore list with names or abbreviations, which is kept in a file
(~/.ee_igor.txt) as normal word a list.
You can use the spell checking in to two ways. You can firstly mark every unknown words with a button (Spell check text). You can secondly launch "spell checker corrector", which process only one word and makes possible to correct the word in the checking process.
"Esperantilo" contains browser for REVO-Lexicon.
There are also database with word frequency in phrases.
Esperantilo can also distinguish some grammar mistakes. Grammar analysis of text is very complex, so the program does not distinguish every possible grammar mistakes now or marks right sentences as false. The grammar checker works only for whole sentences. The program tries to find for each word grammar function in the sentence or phrase. Words without a function are treated as mistakes.
It is possible that on miswritten word causes many error messages.
The grammar checker is usable only in "corrector" function.
The program can show syntax tree of a sentence. Select the sentence and push the button "Show Syntax Tree".
See "Examples of a syntax analysis" for more informations.
- Mi vidas la kato. (a verb needs accusative)
- Mi dormas la domon. (verb 'dormi' is not transitive)
- Mi venas al domon. (preposition 'al' do not allow accusative)
"Esperantilo" contains also a multilingual dictionary. The word lists are compiled from REVO-dictionary, and other free sources, which I have found in Internet. You can use the dictionary in two ways. First in a particular window or direct in the editor. Place the cursor on unknown Esperanto a word (or select it) use and the function "Edit> Translate under a cursor" or type "Control-q". The program tries to translate the derivation directly, or the basic root, or morphemes.
The search of Esperanto words is more effective than by common dictionaries."Esperantilo" gets to know, that there is not word in a basic form and can himself find a basic form. When the exact translation is not found the program tries to find the approximate translation or translate each morphemes.
You can use the dictionary to translate throw Esperanto as pivot language
denken - (trans: opinii) - zaopiniować
denken - (trans: opinii) - uważać
denken - (trans: opinii) - wypowiadać
denken - (trans: opinii) - zapatrywać się
denken - (trans: pensi) - myśleć
denken - (trans: pensi) - mniemać
You can also write a word in a national language (only a basic form) and translate it to Esperanto. Use for it the menu "edit->Translate word to Esperanto" or type short cut "Ctrl-Space".
Machine Translation (automatic translation)
"Esperantilo" can translate Esperanto text automatic or semi-automatic to Polish, German and English languages. Translation is done at a syntax level and one can customize the way of translation to own needs. The machine translation or a computer translation can translate edited text or directly HTML, XLIFF, OpenOffice or MS Word files. The translated text is marked in different colours according to a expected quality of the translation.
During semi-automatic or interactive translation the human translator can influence the translation during translation process. An Esperanto source text does not contain often the same quantity of a information as the target language. The translator can influence:
One can use the interactive translation also only witch keyboard or only with mouse. Interactive translation is the experimental state now.
- A genre of pronouns
- A grammar count of a pronoun 'vi'
- A choice of synonyms
- A translation by unknown words
- A translation of words without a well-known translation
- An order of words
- A complete result with a directly editing
Esperantilo supports a translation memory. Sentences, which was corrected during interactive translation are saved into translation memory. The translation memory can imported or exported into TMX format. The program supports following functions now:
- The program can find also similar sentences and calculate the fuzzy-similarity of sentences.
- The program can keep many translation alternatives for one sentence.
- Editing of a translation memory.
- A import and a export of a translation memory to TML-format.
"Esperantilo" is free software according to "GNU Public License (open source)", see GNU Homepage or on wikipedia.
last refresh 01.05.2006
You can download there word lists used in the program.
EsperantiloSetUp.exe Windows (a install program) - download and start this program. You need only this file.
esperantilo.exe Windows (without installer - download this file with evortaro.zip into some directory and launch the program there)
evortaro.zip Please place the file together with esperantilo.exe for use the multilingual dictionary.
esperantilo.kit Tcl-kit a file for Windows and Linux; see Tcl kit. You can take program source (for Tcl/XOTcl programming language) from this file (see SDX).
A contact email